Pastor of Youth and Young Adults
Emmanuel Christian Reformed Church in Calgary, Alberta, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the full-time position of Pastor of Youth and Young Adults to support fulfilling the strategic direction of integrating the youth and young adults into the life of the church.
The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults will work in collaboration with the Faith Formation Committee and two full-time Pastors in visioning for a comprehensive approach to faith formation at Emmanuel “from cradle to grave.”
Goals for the Pastor of Youth and Young Adults
1. Specific goals as they relate to youth (grade 7 – 12).
a. Organize and provide leadership for youth activities (i.e. weekly youth night, presently in collaboration with two other CRC churches in Calgary)
b. Develop, in concert with other ministries, opportunities for youth to integrate into the life of the church; in particular, to enhance worship services through the use of their gifts and vision for worship by contributing to Sunday morning worship through music, prayer, Bible reading, media arts etc.
c. Seek opportunities for church members to contribute to the discipleship of youth.
d. Seek opportunities to train youth leaders.
e. Seek opportunities to support individual youth through fellowship, counseling and mentoring.
f. Seek opportunities to partner with parents in understanding and leading their children.
g. As appropriate, provide instruction and teaching for youth and young people in seminars and classes.
2. Specific goals as they relate to young adults.
a. Provide leadership to the young adults of Emmanuel, by facilitating young adults’ groups and activities.
b. Seek opportunities to connect with young adults one on one.
c. Seek opportunities to host guest speakers to address relevant issues.
3. Specific goals as they relate to children’s ministries (i.e Sunday School, Gems/Cadets, VBS)
a. Collaborate with ministry leads to identify appropriate faith development and leadership needs, training programs and materials; assist leaders in identifying goals, setting goals, and reaching goals.
We recognize that particular candidates for this position may possess skills and passion in other areas that may carry the potential to create responsibilities in concert with other ministries in the church.
Candidates will be considered in relation to the following set of convictions, skills and experience.
1. Love for Christ, mature personal faith, well-grounded knowledge of Christian scripture and Reformed theology, and a passion for discipleship.
2. Ideally have a degree in youth ministry.
3. Ideally have at least 5 years of pastoral experience, and/or can demonstrate experience in working with youth and with developing leaders.
4. Capable of speaking/teaching/preaching to the youth; and facilitating meaningful conversation among them.
5. Capable of creating an environment of fun and engagement.
6. Strong skills for organization and planning.
7. Strong skills for communication and partnership with youth and their parents.
8. Willingness to engage contemporary and moral issues with sensitivity and wisdom.
9. Able to identify and oversee leadership development training programs, ministries, resources and materials.
The Pastor of Youth and Young People will be under the supervision of the two lead pastors at Emmanuel as well as the Emmanuel CRC Personnel Committee. The anticipated starting date for this position is September 2020.
If you believe that you may be the right person for this challenging and exciting opportunity, we invite you to send your resume along with a statement of faith and three references to John Picard at the email address below. You may also contact John if you would like further information, either by email or by phone.