Overview: Eucharist Church is a thriving Anglican (ACNA) congregation in the heart of San Francisco, connecting ancient forms of Christian faith to the lives of 21st century people. We are a vibrant, intergenerational, ethnically-diverse community of disciples seeking to live all of life in reference to Christ. We have been growing steadily in the 3+ years of our existence and are now in need of a Director of Music to join our team and develop a music ministry that honors God and inspires God’s people. Learn more about us at eucharistSF.org.
The Position: The Director of Music is responsible for the development and management of the music ministry of Eucharist Church. Practically speaking, this looks like overseeing the creation of God-honoring and inspiring worship music for the weekly Sunday worship service(s), retreats, and other gatherings. The Director of Music will work with the Rector (lead pastor) and staff to cultivate music appropriate to the liturgy and season, being responsible for developing and leading the team of musicians, vocalists, music leaders, and relevant A/V positions necessary to accomplish the Rector’s vision.
* Collaborating with the Rector and staff to oversee and execute music for the weekly worship gathering appropriate to the liturgy and season.
* Manage the music catalogue and musical culture: find, adapt, arrange, and (potentially) write music for our church.
* Recruit, develop, and manage lay worship musicians, song leaders, choir members, and A/V technicians.
* Schedule and lead rehearsals with the music team.
* This position is currently part-time; we estimate between 10 to 20 hours per week.
* Compensation: we seek to pay appropriate market-rate pay, adjusted according to the experience of the candidate and the precise responsibilities and time-expected to fulfill the position.
The Candidate We’re Looking For: Our ideal candidate is passionate about leading in a “three-stream” setting (sacramental, charismatic, and evangelical), located in a post-Christian, urban environment such as San Francisco. The candidate is culturally aware, but (more importantly) deeply grounded in the Christian Tradition and the Word of God. The candidate understands and enthusiastically embraces liturgy. He/she desires to serve in a vibrant, (non-stuffy) “Anglo-catholic flavored, yet contemporary” liturgical context – vestments, smells/bells, hymns + contemporary + sacred choral music… (currently) gathering in a non-traditional setting. Our candidate is a gifted musician/vocalist/leader committed to developing other leaders, not needing the spotlight.
* Humility: a heart to serve others, teachable, a team player, faith-filled.
* Integrity: dependable, punctual, speaks / receives the truth in love, sincere.
* Excellence & Creativity: prepared, confident, committed to constant growth, cultivates beauty, inspires others.
* 5+ years proven experience as the Director of Music or equivalent in a church context.
* Familiarity and appreciation for liturgical/sacramental traditions; theologically aligned with Eucharist Church.
* High level of proficiency on an instrument capable of accompanying musical worship (keyboard preferred) and a skilled vocalist; formal music training / education preferred; capable of reading and arranging music.
* Proven experience in organizing and leading lay worship team members with excellence, encouragement, and low drama.
*BA (or equivalent) minimum, higher degree preferred.