First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley
Director of Youth and Family Ministry
Reports to Associate Pastor for Christian Formation
Exempt, Full time
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Priority deadline to apply: May 15, 2021
JOB SUMMARY (Description of what this position is created to accomplish.)
Develop and sustain a formation strategy at First Pres that demonstrates Christ’s love to youth 6th grade to 12th grade, integrates them into the intergenerational communities of the church, and leads them into deeper discipleship. Partner with lay leaders and other ministries to create a congregational engagement based in our baptismal promises to guide and nurture our children.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ACTIVITIES (Essential functions in order of importance, including what must be accomplished, supervision/management responsibilities, standards for quality/quantity, etc.)
Christian Formation Vision and Leadership
● Oversee the development and the implementation of curriculum for middle and high school youth, in collaboration with the Associate Pastor for Christian Formation.
● Foster and build a safe and nurturing Christian community for youth and families.
● Identify, equip, and support lay leaders to walk alongside youth and families through programs and special events.
● Work closely with the Director of Children and Family Ministry to ensure consistency of ministry values and appropriate transition of 5th graders to the Youth Department.
● Support leadership of Choirs in consistency in ministry values and classroom management.
● Develop strong relationships with families as partners in ministry; support and resource families as they nurture the spiritual development of their children.
● Partner with Christian Formation Coordinator to manage the database of youth and families in the ministry.
Church Leadership and Administration
● Create engagement opportunities for the broader church community to connect with youth and families as full participants in the worshiping life of the church.
● Collaborate with the Christian Formation Coordinator and Director of Communications to create internal and external communication plans to promote upcoming engagement opportunities, community needs and victories with your target audience(s) and the broader church.
● Collaborate with the Director of Engagement to recruit lay leaders and connect youth and families with opportunities for service and leading worship.
● Identify, equip, and schedule lay leaders of programs for youth and families.
● Collaborate with Christian Formation Elders to support the program and manage the budget.
● Partner with the Director of Facilities to keep all rooms safe, secure, and in excellent condition.
● Commitment to and passion for the Christian faith and church.
● Bachelor’s Degree preferred and/or 3 years leadership experience working with youth and families of diverse backgrounds and needs.
● Strong communication skills – both verbally and in writing.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality in a sensitive and professional manner.
● Demonstrated ability to recruit, equip, motivate and work with lay leaders.
● Ability to work with and relate to the diverse First Pres community.
● Proficient knowledge of needed software programs and web-based applications, which include: Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Drive and Docs, and familiarity with using database programs. Willing and able to learn new programs and applications as needed.
SCHEDULE This position is full-time with the expectation of working on Sundays and weekends as needed. Exact schedule of workdays and days off to be coordinated with the supervisor.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts the right of the leadership of First Presbyterian Church to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
How to Apply:
● Complete our application form at http://www.fpcberkeley.org/employment.asp
● Return application form with your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at [email protected], or mail to:
First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley
2407 Dana St.
Berkeley, CA 94704.
Priority Deadline: May 15, 2021. Rolling review upon receipt. Position will remain open until filled. Offer will be contingent on passing a criminal record background check.