Grace Fellowship Community Church (GFCC), a Cumberland Presbyterian congregation based in the Mission District of San Francisco, is offering a short-term assignment for an experienced pastor (Pastor) to come alongside the congregation during a period of transition. GFCC has had two senior pastors in its 35 year history and expects to hire a full-time senior pastor in the future. The short-term pastor will act as a companion on the church’s journey by helping to pastor the congregation and assist the leadership while we revisit our vision and implement new practices for pastoral care, teaching, preaching and administration.
GFCC was founded in 1983 with a vision to serve God as an expression of God’s Kingdom in San Francisco. GFCC is community-oriented, multi-ethnic, multi-generational, and multi-language. The Church is fully self-supporting. Approximately 175 people attend services each Sunday. The Church is part of the Del Cristo Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Denomination. Two sister churches, Redeemer Community Church and Cumberland Presbyterian Chinese Church are also located in the San Francisco area serving the Bayview, Chinatown and Daly City.
FRAMEWORK FOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Pastor will primarily be responsible for the care and shepherding of the congregation during his/her tenure.
1. The role is full time and the Pastor will serve for a maximum of 12 months.
2. The Pastor will have responsibility for preaching, but will not be required to preach every week. The Pastor will provide leadership to the teams organizing weekly worship services.
3. If approved by the Presbytery, the Pastor will moderate the Session and preside over Communion. Being approved by the Del Cristo Presbytery is required for the purposes of moderating the Session and serving Communion.
4. The Pastor will work closely with leadership to encourage and develop healthy ministry practices including delegation of pastoral care, proper administration and leadership training.
5. The Pastor will have responsibility for working with the congregation’s elders to support, develop and implement Christian Formation practices including church school, midweek studies and ministry teams.
6. GFCC currently employs a Pastoral Associate for Youth Ministry. The Pastor will have responsibility for mentoring the Pastoral Associate in his development as a Pastor.
7. The members of GFCC see the period of transition as a unique opportunity to revisit the church’s identity, calling and mission. The Pastor will be responsible for advising leadership as to how to set appropriate goals and to accomplish these goals.
7a. If so gifted, the Pastor may be asked to lead some of this process.
7b. The Pastor will be free to recommend outside experts to help the church accomplish these goals.
8. The Pastor will make recommendations to the leadership for best managing our search for a Senior Pastor. The Pastor will help the congregation to open its heart to God and to receiving new leadership.
1. Minimum of 3 years pastoral experience
2. Ordination in the Cumberland Presbyterian or another denomination in communion with the CPC. GFCC and Presbytery Del Cristo recognize that different traditions have different requirements for ordination and respect that other denominational practices might be helpful to our growth in Christ. In the same way, the Presbytery expects the Pastor to show respect for the Cumberland tradition and history.
3. The Pastor must be able to work in the Church in San Francisco. Flexible hours and remote work is negotiable.
4. The Pastor will be asked to submit references from previous churches she/he has served in this capacity.
5. A background check and fingerprinting will be required.
1. An understanding of Presbyterian Polity is helpful.
2. The Pastor should have advanced training in Biblical Studies.
3. Formal training and experience in counseling is preferred.
A cover letter and resume are due by no later than Friday, March 29, 2019 and should be sent to the following: