The Associate Pastor is a full-time job that provides spiritual oversight and leadership direction to developing healthy ministries at Hammond Bay Church. A large portion of the Associate Pastor’s focus will be developing Family Ministries in the youth and children’s areas.
The Associate Pastor is responsible to the Deacon’s Board, and reports to the Lead Pastor for day to day ministry.
WHO WE ARE:
• Hammond Bay Baptist Church is affiliated with the Baptist General Conference
• We are located in North Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island, a community of 90,000 people
• We employ two pastors, an administrative assistant and custodians
• We have approximately 100 to 125 attendees each Sunday and are a growing church
with a number of newcomers
• We have a healthy Sunday School, junior youth group, senior youth group, men’s groups, women’s groups, and bible studies throughout the year.
• We have outreach activities and church functions, meals, and events
WHO THE ASSOCIATE PASTOR IS:
• Meets the scriptural qualifications of a church leader (1Tim 3:1-7 & Titus 1:6-9)
• Has a humble and obedient heart
• Continues to grow as a disciple of Jesus
• Loves people unconditionally
• Puts God first and trusts Him in all things
• Gives priority to prayer and the study of the Word of God
• Exercises spiritual disciplines to draw closer to God
• Has a strong desire to see people come to and grow in the faith
• Values the Kingdom over a local church and its ministries
• Available for a flexible time schedule often including evenings and weekends as well as Pastoral Emergencies
• Guide and lead youth programs, this includes recruiting, training, and coordinating leaders in junior & senior youth.
• Support the Sunday school coordinator in curriculum selection, recruiting and training.
• Guide the curriculum with input from the Lead Pastor.
• Communicate and minister to the families of children and youth for a more holistic approach.
• Help assist and develop ministries within the Church such as care groups and young adults.
• Assist the Lead Pastor in pastoral care to the body through prayer, phone calls, and visitation.
• Required to preach once every eight weeks, not including vacation time.
• Meet weekly with the Lead Pastor for mentoring, prayer, planning and discussion of Church issues.
• Aid in the hiring of summer students for Sunday school and summer programs.
• Provide oversight and guidance to the summer students, their responsibilities, and concerns that may arise.
• Attend and give input to Board and leadership meetings as necessary.
• Ensure that the overall vision of the church is carried out within the Sunday school, youth groups, and young adult programs.
• Assist the Lead Pastor in delegating and overseeing the planning of outreach activities in the surrounding neighbourhoods.
• Assist with the assimilation of new attendees into the Church and work toward creating an inviting environment within the congregation.
• May be responsible for overseeing the Lord’s Supper and baptisms and must be available for weddings and funerals as needed.
• Be caring, approachable, and available for counselling or be able to delegate to administrative staff, gifted individuals, or professional counsellors as needed.
Expectations of Responsibility:
• Ensure that the vision and goals of the family ministries reflect the overall vision, goals, and purpose of the Church.
• Together with the Lead Pastor, develop a comprehensive strategy for spiritual formation across all ages through special events and ongoing ministries.
• Develop teams of key leaders and volunteers that carry out the ministry to children, youth, and adults effectively.
• Discover and create attractive and incarnate ways for HBBC to impact the broader community.
• Stay up-to-date and participate in professional development with various materials, resources and strategies that can be utilized to further the ministry covered in this description.
• Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings, retreats, and conference related events.
• May be asked to support normal administrative and office duties as needed.
• The position requires great flexibility in time schedule. Should be available for evening activities as well as work on the weekends. On call at all times for pastoral emergencies.
• The Associate Pastor will receive an annual evaluation in November by the Lead Pastor and at least two members of the Board. In this evaluation the associate Pastor’s performance and professional development will be discussed. The evaluation will provide the associate pastor with feedback and allow the board and associate pastor the opportunity and responsibility to address concerns.
• The Associate Pastor’s annual remuneration will be based on experience and education, using the churches of our conference as a guide.
• Housing allowance will be the amount of salary designated by the Associate Pastor, if he so chooses to claim housing allowance.
• The Associate Pastor will be paid on the 15th of the month and on the last day of the month.
HOW TO APPLY:
• The Associate Pastor we seek shall be in agreement with the Hammond Bay Baptist Church Constitution, By-Laws, Policies, and Articles of Faith. See our web site at http://www.hammondbaychurch.org
• The Associate Pastor we seek shall have the training deemed necessary for the position. Theological education required.
• To apply, please forward your résumé, cover letter and references to email@example.com
• A current resume – addressing core qualifications and work experience
• A cover letter outlining how you will fit with our organization
• Three references including name, address and phone number