Few things are more spiritually gratifying than engaging children, students and families in the faith, life, and family of Christ. As Family Pastor at Middle Street Baptist Church, your lasting mission will be to grow a flourishing family ministry where families feel welcome, grow in faith, and develop meaningful relationships with God and each other.
About the role
In this new part-time (20 hours/week) position, you’ll work closely with our Pastor and church family to create and cultivate a culture of discipleship among children, students, and their parents that invites and engages skeptics, seekers and followers of Christ. Your goals for the position (which are not mutually exclusive) will be:
· Plan and organize outreach events and programs for youth and family that draw our community to our church and propel our church into service to our community
· Welcome and follow up with new children, students and families
· Work with the Board of Christian Education to develop a comprehensive discipleship plan (one that develops the “head, heart, and hands”), equip volunteers to teach and mentor children and students, and choose curriculum
· Encourage the spiritual growth of parents and grandparents and train them to nurture their children’s faith at home
· Deliver children’s sermons during our Sunday worship services
· Connect children and students with every part of our church life, including weekly worship, spiritual formation, and service opportunities
· Pursue relationships with children and students, taking the initiative to counsel and pray with youth and families about their life, faith, and the intersection of the two.
Depending on your time, interest, and gifts, we may also invite you to assist in other pastoral duties.
The starting salary is $25,000/year. You will also be eligible for other benefits like mileage reimbursements, a ministry expense budget, and provisions for professional development (books, conferences, etc.).
You are a follower of Jesus who seeks to honor God in all thought, word and deed whose faith is congruent with our statement of faith (www.middle.st/what-we-believe). You are passionate about seeing children and students begin and embrace their faith journey and know God. You naturally build excellent relationships and have experience leading and growing children, student and family ministries with creativity and commitment. You are not afraid of accountability yet are willing to take risks, try new ideas, make mistakes and learn and grow in your own relationship with Christ and in your leadership and ministry abilities.
You have a college degree and possibly an advanced seminary degree and live close enough to commit fully to the life of our church family by worshiping with us weekly, attending church events, and being engaged with our children and students.
We are a small, historic church located in Portsmouth, NH which exists to know Christ and make him known. We are looking for ways we can better engage the unique culture and people of Portsmouth and the Seacoast by serving the physical and spiritual needs of our neighbors.
We want to hear from you!
you think we’re a good fit for each other, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]