New Life Chinese Lutheran Church
Mandarin Pastor needed
New Life Chinese Lutheran Church is seeking a Pastor to help minister to and lead its
Mandarin-speaking congregation. The position is full time. You should have the following
● Feel called by God and have an affinity for ministering to a predominantly older aged congregation with the plan to develop a young family aged ministry.
● Baptized mature Christian who leads a Christ-centered life
● Fluent in Mandarin
● Fluency in Cantonese and/or English are assets
● Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills
● Excellent counseling and teaching skills
● Possesses a Master of Divinity degree granted by an accredited institution (students in their final year of MDiv program are also encouraged to apply)
As a pastor is an ordained member of the staff of the church, your soundness in the faith, aptness to teach
and educational qualifications will be examined and must be approved by the Church Council and
Pastoral Search Committee.
New Life is a member of CALC http://calc.ca. CALC is a church of the Lutheran Reformation. The faith and life
of CALC’s congregations is rooted in and is shaped by the Holy Bible and the Lutheran Confessions which all
our pastors must subscribe to.
Your responsibilities will include:
● Preaching the Word, administering the sacraments and conducting public worship in harmony with the faith and practices of the church
● Baptizing, confirming and marrying in accordance with the teaching of the church and with the laws of the province, visiting the sick and distressed, and burying the dead
● Inculcating piety in individual and family life and providing pastoral leadership to all schools and auxiliary organizations of the congregation
● Installing members of the Congregational Council and, with the council, administer discipline
● Seeking out and encouraging qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel and strive to extend the Kingdom of God in the community, at home and abroad
● Encouraging the members to be generous in support of the ministry of the congregation and the church
● Keeping accurate membership records, including baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials and communicants, and submitting a report of such statistics annually to the church secretary. The parish records shall be kept in a separate book, which shall remain the property of the congregation
● Commending members who move to the pastoral care of the parish in which their new home is located
Salaries and benefits:
Within the approved budget, salaries will be subject to the qualifications and experience of the
This full-time position may begin as early as December 2021.
All inquiries, requests for more information, and electronic submissions of resume materials should be directed
to the Mandarin Pastoral Search Committee at <[email protected]> and can also be submitted by
fax (604) 324-6110 or by mail to NLCLC – Mandarin Pastoral Search Committee, 6215 Main Street, Vancouver,
B.C. V5W 2T9. Applicants must complete and submit CALC’s Application For Entry Into the Pastoral Ministry in
a CALC congregation. The Pastoral Search Committee will email the application form upon request.