Redemption Church Senior Pastor Job Description
Who We Are
Redemption Church has been a thriving, Spirit-led and diverse community since its beginning in 1989. It was intentionally planted on Vancouver’s Westside in close proximity to the University of British Columbia campus and Regent College, with a vision to reach the local community and the student population. Redemption continues to reflect this scholarly history as most of our congregants have pursued or are currently pursuing post secondary education, with nearly half of the body currently in full-time study. We have a stable core of longstanding leaders, members and volunteers, but we also faithfully nurture, disciple, bless and release many who are only able to invest during their time of study. While we value academia, we remain down-to-earth; free in Spirit, yet intentional; constant, but adaptive; engaged.
Being situated on the Westside of Vancouver, Redemption’s myriad cultures and representative countries, life experiences and socioeconomic backgrounds mirror the urban community we call home. We are a group of believers committed to joining God in bringing his Redemption, Reconciliation, and Renewal to our neighbours and our city. Redemption has been in a season of internal growth and maturing, and now we sense the Lord is moving us into a time of looking outward. We are searching for a leader who can partner with us in this next phase. This person will guide us with vision, but also grow alongside us. We are a family of Christ-centred and Spirit-filled communities, embracing the invitation God has given us to unite with Him in the healing and redemption of all things. If you want to be a part of this journey, we want to hear from you.
How to Apply
Thank you for taking the time to consider this position. The calling of a senior pastor to a church is a prayerful discernment process for the candidate and community. If you choose to apply, please include the following items:
● A cover letter that helps us understand more of who you are and how you came to see this position as one you should fill. Also, what has God been putting on your heart recently? We want to get to know you!
● A resume that details your ministry and other professional experience. Include appropriate references that we may contact in our process.
● Hyperlinks to two sermons or talks you have given (one exegetical and one thematic).
Please submit your application to Ken Russell, PAOC District Superintendent, at email@example.com, by September 30, 2017 Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Called by God, the Senior Pastor of Redemption Church (often referred to internally as the “Lead Pastor”) will exhibit a vibrant life with Father, Son, and Spirit. The Senior Pastor will be approachable, humble, gentle and peaceable, with good reputation.
The Senior Pastor will be:
● A leader who has substantial experience leading teams, and equipping leaders of all ages and eager to engage, equip, and launch young people;
● A teacher who speaks from Scripture with knowledge and authority;
● A disciple who loves God above all, as demonstrated by a life of worship, meditation and prayer;
● A life-long learner who has obtained or is pursuing a Master’s Degree and is a current PAOC credential holder (or willing and eligible to be credentialed by the PAOC).
● A cross-cultural communicator who has ministry experience in multi-ethnic and urban contexts.
Scope of Duties
Together with the elders and board, provide spiritual direction and vision for the church
Identify and develop leaders in our community through discipleship, education and training.
Preaching & Teaching
Scripture-based preaching on a regular basis, and provide mentorship to other church members who are preaching.
Sensitive to the pastoral needs of the church community, and provides pastoral care for members of the leadership teams, while ensuring that these leaders are equipped to provide pastoral care for those that they are serving.
Together with the board, provide leadership as the chief executive of the church, including management of the staff team, and nurturing a culture of consistency and accountability in following applicable policies adopted by the board (and giving input into updating those policies where appropriate).
Cultivates an active relationship with churches and Christian organizations in our neighbourhood and beyond.
Facilitates relationships between Redemption Church and our local community; to bring the life of Christ to the city.
Expected Outcomes for the Church Redemption
Proclaiming the gospel and making disciples of Jesus
● Consistent scripture-based preaching and teaching
● Evident leading by the Spirit
● Ministry participation (e.g. Oikos, prayer, youth and children’s ministries)
● Exemplary lifestyle
Loving one another as the Father has loved us
● Membership, baptisms and tithing
● Ministry leadership participation (e.g. Oikos, prayer, worship, service)
● Vibrant multi-ethnic, -generational and -denominational composition
● Restored interpersonal and communal relationships
Seeing God’s Kingdom come to Vancouver (and beyond) in the power of the Spirit
● Community and neighbourhood giving and engagement
● Missions giving and engagement
Call & Appointment
The Senior Pastor, who shall be a person approved by the British Columbia and Yukon District of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, is called to the appointment of Senior Pastor when the members at a duly convened special meeting votes in favour of the call.
The Senior Pastor takes on the mantle of Spiritual Overseer of the Church’s mission of building a network of Christ-centred and Spirit-filled communities to meet human needs God’s way throughout Vancouver and beyond. This person is accountable for the status of this mission to members as represented by the Board of Directors and Elders.