I am an independent, active 26 year old female with a form of Muscular Dystrophy called Spinal Muscular Atrophy, and am a recent UBC graduate with a Bachelor of Social Work. I am looking for an enthusiastic and responsible female casual overnight worker (4-6 overnights/month) who can commit for a minimum of 6 months. I am physically dependent on someone else for personal care, such as feeding, dressing, toileting, and hygiene. The shifts would be 10-14 hours long. Some shifts would be scheduled well in advance, while others could be more last-minute.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
– Personal Care (feeding, dressing, showering, and bladder/bowel care)
– Transfers via mechanical lift or manual lift (I weigh approximately 70 pounds)
– Administering medication
– Assistance with helping me use my breathing machine (BiPap machine)
– Waking up 2-3 times throughout the night to reposition me (you will get to sleep at night, but must be a light sleeper as you will need to get up when I call for help)
– Performing other various tasks to help me live my life independently
Qualifications of a successful applicant:
– Flexible, easy going, and happy to learn
– Professional, organized, punctual and reliable
– Willing to take direction quickly and work independently, while respecting the privacy and space of my family
– Technology savvy
– Nursing/medical experience is not a requirement, but experience in the health care field or working with persons with disabilities is an asset
This job is ideal for University students (or recent graduates) who are interested in pursuing a career in the healthcare field or individuals who have a heart for supporting individuals and would like to gain additional personal care experience in a positive work environment. If you are a passionate individual who values challenges, while striving to meet the needs of others, I would love for you to apply by filling out this short survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SZLCSPW.
Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you! =)