The present Cantonese congregation is made up of an average Sunday attendance of 550+ and a total constituent of about 1000+ including English congregation, Mandarin congregation and children ministry. The Cantonese congregation at present has 3 other pastors (the church is open to calling more pastors to join the team), and 3 lay workers who are supporting the congregational lead pastor in the ministry to the 12 fellowship groups and the broader constituents, as well as in our outreach and missions programs to Calgary (our Jerusalem), Alberta (our Judea), Canada (our Samaria) and the rest of the world. Cross congregational ministers include, Parish Nurse and Children Ministry Director, High school students who are children of our constituents are primarily ministered to by our English congregation lead pastors, who are part of our larger pastoral team.
• Biblical standards, particularly those found in the following passages: 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; Acts 20:28 and 1 Peter 5:1-4
• In full agreement with our Statement of Faith as described in the church constitution.
• The pastoral staff of each congregations of our church have a shared responsibility to respect and work in cooperation with one another, in the planning and execution of ministries for the Lord, despite any differences of language, age or culture (please refer to Article IV of the church constitution as found in our website).
• Fluent in Cantonese and good English communication skills
• Have a master’s degree from an evangelical seminary or higher theological training.
• Has led a pastoral team in providing spiritual food to the flock and provided a vision for ministry development.
• A man of prayer and dedicated to the Lord without reservations.
• At least 5 years of full-time pastoral experience, preferably including significant leadership roles. North American ministry experience is essential.
• Capable to lead a pastoral team to spiritually feed the flock, and visionary in ministry outlook.
• Care more about people than about running successful programs, and a disciple making pastor who demonstrate a true disciple of our Lord in his personal and family life.
Nice to have:
• Understand Mandarin, but not necessarily ability to preach in Mandarin, is an asset.
• In agreement with SCCEFC’s statement of faith and willing to abide by the church’s constitution
a. Teaching and Leading
i. Working under the senior pastor (or with the Cantonese pastoral team in case the church does not have a senior pastor) design and assign preaching schedule and direction for the edification of the congregation (including the teaching of sound doctrine, practical application of Scriptural teaching to daily living, modeling by the lives of those who preaches in holy living that has the power to convict and inspire), while supporting the vision of the church and its current emphasis in ministry and spiritual development.
ii. Working with the Cantonese Ministry Board, provide general ministry direction that is compatible with the rest of the church.
iii. Supporting pastors and ministry workers of the Cantonese congregation under his/her supervision to enhance their ministries and help them to be more effective, including caring for their spiritual and family lives.
iv. Ensuring effective communications within the Cantonese congregation as well as with the Mandarin and English congregations.
b. Caring and Counselling
i. Leading by example, work with the pastoral team and lay leaders to ensure that brothers and sisters are cared for through their struggles in various stages of their lives and particularly when they face crisis situations with their family, job, health and spiritual failures, etc.
ii. By modeling and leadership, inspire the leadership team (pastors and lay leaders) to equip, enhance and empower brothers and sisters to live for Christ, evangelize through words and deeds, and grow to be more like Christ in their everyday lives.
iii. Through partnership with qualified counselors, provide support for those who may require long term care, and assuring that those with special needs are covered by at least one team of prayer warriors. Note: Pastors are usually assigned to take care of at least two fellowship groups with a total number of 150 members. This may be viewed as his primary care load, but the congregation lead pastors may have to take on a larger, rather than a smaller load at this time until more pastors are called to share the Lord.
i. We value training others to share ministry responsibilities. Such training needs to be intentional, specific and suitable for those under such tutorship. It is important for pastoral staff to choose the right candidates to train and follow his/her developments in each of the ministry area he/she is asked to serve in.
ii. As Cantonese Congregation Lead Pastor, the responsibility is more than just mentoring the few (usually each pastor takes care of 4 – 6 ministries: teachers of Sunday School classes, small group leaders, fellowship committees, etc.) that he takes under his wing, but also make sure that the other pastors are providing adequate mentoring to those under their tutorship and provide help and support when and where needed. We ask the Congregation Lead Pastor to model this for the rest of the pastoral staff and to actively support staff working under his supervision, even if they have been with the church for a long time.
d. Official functions
i. As key member of the team, the Congregation Lead Pastor actively participate in decision making of the church at large, apart from those specific to the Cantonese Congregation, thus he needs to not just attend, but be an active member of various boards and committees of the Cantonese congregation and of the entire church as stipulate in the church bylaws.
ii. Baptisms, communion, baby dedication, weddings, funerals, commissioning of missionaries and short term missions teams, Sunday School teachers, Deacons, and other in house “ceremonies” are to be shared with other pastors and in some cases under the direction of the senior pastor, but in others it may fall on the Cantonese Congregation Lead Pastor to delegate the work. In some instances, the Cantonese Associate Pastor may be asked to represent the church to attend denominational and cross denominational functions.
If you believe that the Lord is calling you to serve with our church, please email [email protected] with your cover letter and resume.