SCCEFC is a thriving, family-focused, missions focused church with a weekly attendance of 800 plus. It is a North American Chinese church with three languages based congregations of Cantonese, English and Mandarin. The church is centrally located in Calgary, Alberta. Our mission is to be united in love to obey the Great Commandment and to carry out the Great Commission of Jesus Christ by reaching out to people in the Calgary area through such as Evangelism Explosion, Alpha ministries, etc. We have a vital growing children’s ministry. SCCEFC engages in small group ministry in its various fellowship groups. It is largely a bi-cultural Chinese church in North America spanning several generational age groups, with the majority of our current constituency predominantly Cantonese-speaking immigrants. The other two congregations are Mandarin speaking and English-speaking with demographics from toddlers through adults. SCCEFC’s polity is congregational centered on team leadership. Employing team leadership principles and practices, the Senior Pastor will lead a team of pastors and ministers to shepherd and oversee the equipping of the saints in the church, as well as to reach the unchurched in our local community.
• Possess the Biblical qualities of leadership as stated in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
• Trained in an accredited seminary with the equivalent of and M. Div. degree or above.
• Minimum of five years of experience in ministering in a bi-cultural Chinese church in North America.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, especially the ability and demonstrated practice of team leadership in a bi-cultural, multi-staff situation.
• Excellent communication skills, particularly in preaching the Word of God.
• Experienced in promoting and leading outreach and missions programs.
• History of active church membership and participation in a local worshipping community.
• Regular practice of spiritual disciplines, including prayer, solitude, personal study of the Word
• Regular fellowship with a spiritual mentor or partner.
• Language ability: proficient in speaking, reading and writing Chinese and English.
• In agreement with SCCEFC’s statement of faith and willing to abide by the church’s constitution
a. Provide leadership, vision, and overall direction for the church
i. The Senior pastor shall provide spiritual vision and challenge to the Church, the various congregations and the Board.
ii. He shall provide leadership to all church boards/teams, participating in meetings when available.
iii. He shall be responsible for overseeing the overall ministries and various administrative matters of the local body.
b. Preach and teach God’s Word
i. He shall preach and teach at Sunday worship services, being faithful to Scripture and seeking to help the congregation understand and apply the message to their lives.
ii. Set aside regular times of study in order to be personally prepared to share God’s Word with others
iii. In cooperation with the other lead pastors and worship deacons, he shall supervise worship services and visiting speakers.
c. Actively participate in the life of the church and it members
i. He shall be responsible for nurturing the spiritual welfare of the congregation in partnership with the pastoral team.
ii. He shall be responsible for the visitation of the sick
iii. He shall perform weddings and funerals for church members, as requested
iv. He shall provide counselling services as needed, referring long term counselling needs to Christian counsellors.
d. Supervise the paid church staff and team leaders
i. He shall direct and supervise the pastoral and non-pastoral staff
ii. He shall participate in all hiring decisions for church staff
iii. He shall provide direction and ongoing supervision for paid staff
e. Other Guidelines
i. He shall encourage the development of reproducing leadership through mentoring and discipleship. Seek to delegate appropriate ministry tasks to others in order to help them develop in their areas of spiritual gifts.
ii. He shall work to train and delegate leadership in all areas where gifted and leadership exists (Eph 4:12).
If you believe that the Lord is calling you to serve with our church, please email [email protected] with your cover letter and resume.