Position title: Associate Pastor of Leadership and Discipleship 2018-02
This individual will be responsible for coaching and supervising SouthRidge’s age targeted ministry staff and segment ministry leaders, as well this individual will lead and give oversight to SouthRidge’s discipleship pathway. This individual, as an associate pastor, will work with the Lead Pastor in carrying out general pastoral duties as well as specific ministry responsibilities. This individual will be responsible for ensuring that SouthRidge’s mission, vision and values are lived out in his areas of responsibility.
This individual is accountable to the Lead Pastor.
The Youth and Young Adults Director; the Children’s Director; the Women’s ministry leader; the Men’s ministry leader; and the 55+ ministry leader will be accountable to the Associate Pastor of Leadership and Disciple Making.
Key position responsibilities:
To coach and supervise SouthRidge’s family ministry staff and segment leaders:
– To coach and develop the leadership capacity of the staff and ministry leaders in the age targeted ministries of SouthRidge.
– Working with these staff and leaders to help them accomplish the goals of their ministries and ensuring that these ministries are aligned with SouthRidge’s mission, visions and strategic initiatives
2. Discipleship Pathway
To oversee SouthRidge’s discipleship pathway by:
– To finalize and implement SouthRidge’s discipleship pathway
– To provide the ongoing overall leadership to SouthRidge’s discipleship pathway and become a champion for helping people find their next step on the discipleship pathway.
– To work with the staff who oversee Community Groups and NEXT to ensure a church wide discipleship pathway strategy is in place
3. General pastoral duties
a. Vision – work with the Lead Pastor, the Board, and the Staff to support and articulate the accomplishment of SouthRidge’s mission, vision and strategic initiatives.
b. Staff Team Members – will be expected to help build a team atmosphere among the staff by supporting other staff members in their areas of oversight as a team mate; and encouraging the staff team toward a deeper walk with Jesus Christ.
c. The Congregation – work with the Lead Pastor in shepherding God’s people at SouthRidge toward a deepening of their faith in Jesus. This will be demonstrated through the ministries of prayer, preaching, and one-on-one relationships with the people of SouthRidge. The associate pastor will also be a clear example of true faith, discipleship and servanthood for our partners to follow.
Skills and Experience expectations:
This individual shall possess a background, training, and/or experience in the areas of leading and coaching staff and volunteer leaders. The following skills will be necessary for this role: coaching, team development, leadership development, spiritual formation, understanding the discipleship process, and teaching/preaching. This position requires that this individual have the organizational and administration capacity to oversee several staff. This position also requires that this person be proficient in the use of computers and communication methods. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education from a Christian/Bible school and/or ministry experience of at least 10 years in a growing multi-staff church.
Terms of employment:
This position is a full time position.
This individual will become a partner of SouthRidge Fellowship.
This individual will be remunerated according to terms worked out by the Lead Pastor and mutually agreed upon by the individual and the Lead Pastor.
This individual will have a criminal record check and complete SouthRidge Fellowship’s child protection policy. If a prior criminal record is revealed, this may result in a reconsideration of this person’s application.
This position is subject to an annual performance evaluation conducted by the Lead Pastor.
This individual will attend one professional development experience annually, to be approved by the Lead Pastor, and related to areas of development identified in the annual performance evaluation
The duties of this position, as with any position at SouthRidge Fellowship, may be changed after the yearly review by the Lead Pastor.
This relationship may be terminated by the individual with 30 days written notice. The Board may recommend to the Partnership to dismiss the individual at a Special Partnership meeting for failing to meet the character qualifications, failing to fulfill the ministry job description, or if the individual’s belief’s become at variance with the church’s statement of faith.
a. An Exemplary Witness:
– will enjoy vital Christian experience and live an exemplary, sanctified Christian life of faith
– will model personal evangelism with his family, friends, and neighbours
– will be able to nurture and disciple others in their relationships with God
– will model an active intercessory prayer life
– will participate in church life as an eager servant
b. Ministry / Family Balance:
– will ensure healthy family relationships through a balanced schedule and godly priorities
– will guard his wife (and kids) from inappropriate stress of ministry pressure
c. Superior Relational Abilities:
– will demonstrate communication skills that enable him to act as a catalyst in making
groups of strangers comfortable with each other and himself
– will demonstrate spiritual and emotional maturity in his words, actions and relationships
– will facilitate conflict resolution and the healing of relationships in the church
– will participate in a team relationship with the Staff Team members
d. Management/Leadership Aptitude:
– will demonstrate the ability to administer and give direction in a spirit of love and harmony
– will organize, direct, and mobilize volunteers to accomplish the goals of the church
– will recognize, develop, and coach future leaders
e. Biblical Teaching and Doctrinal Expertise:
– will be able to derive clear application for living from Biblical texts
– will possess strong Biblical/theological training with demonstrable Biblical knowledge
– will be skilled at developing and/or procuring curricula for equipping tracks
f. Counselling/Recovery Care Experience:
– will have a history of assessing needs, feelings, and concerns of individuals both individually and collectively
– will be able to assist other leaders in the church in providing counselling to hurting people
g. Strategic / Visionary Focus:
– will demonstrate the ability to view daily church life in light of strategic plans
– will coordinate the alignment of ministries with the strategic initiatives of SouthRidge
h. Communication Skills:
– will demonstrate proficiency in communicating Biblical truth, ministry vision and strategy, and
training material in a variety of settings.
i. Strength of Character:
– will be known for friendliness, discretion, trustworthiness, stability, compassion, integrity, and
– will be motivated, self-starting, inspirational, and enthusiastic