Our dynamic Anglican/Lutheran Youth group in Coquitlam is looking for a Co-leader. Our youth events average 10-12 participants, and include meals, faith formation, adventure and hanging out. This position is 9 hrs a week at $20 an hour. Starting September 1. Applications accepted until job is filled.
Part-Time Jr/Sr Youth Program Co-Leader
St. Laurence Anglican Church – Diocese of New Westminster
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada
The Jr/Sr Youth Program Co-Leaders will collaborate in nurturing and continuing to build upon our vibrant ministry among middle and high school youth (ages 10 to 19). They will actively engage our youth in God’s mission in our community, facilitate their integration into parish worship, and support the personal faith development of each youth, encouraging them to experience and articulate God’s presence and action in their lives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Maintain professional social and emotional boundaries with youth, colleagues, parents and members of the congregation.
· Create an emotionally safe environment for youth to grow and develop spiritually.
· Meet regularly with Co-Lead and Rector/Pastor to plan and coordinate program.
· Create a comprehensive one year plan for the junior and senior youth programs including: preparing goals, strategies, activities and evaluation measures; include youth planning for a community service project, as time permits.
· Plan/develop/implement/evaluate the curriculum for both the junior and senior youth programs.
· Effectively lead both the junior & senior youth program through fellowship, worship, prayer, biblical teaching, and discipleship on a weekly basis.
· Recruit and provide support, mentoring, and encouragement to volunteers.
· Partner with the Rector/Pastor and Lay Support Team in evaluating and developing current and future ministries for children, youth, and families.
· Provide spiritual direction to youth on an individual basis.
· Encourage the youth to become involved in wider diocesan, provincial, and national youth movements.
· Strive to develop leadership skills within the youth by enabling them to plan and conduct some of their own activities.
· Encourage Christian leadership from youth and young adult leaders.
· Potentially develop, plan and implement a bi-weekly Sunday Morning Sr. Youth church school program.
· Coordinate the scheduling of activities within the context of other parish events.
· Maintain a current contact list of all youth/families including updated information related to personal safety, e.g., allergies, special requirements.
· Keep parents updated on ministry strategies, activities and plans in a manner that encourages partnership and involvement.
· Integrate youth ministry into all phases of church life to create a culture that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to unite with and complement other church ministries.
· Develop and submit written updates to St. Laurence & Good Shepherd social media and web presence; submit information for the weekly parish bulletin.
· Ensure the visibility and participation of junior & senior youth in the regular worship life of the Parishes, e.g., serving in the liturgy, etc.
· Participate and lead in regional youth events and activities as sponsored by the Diocese of New Westminster, BCYAYM and CLAY, as time permits
· Ensure that all rooms/areas used by youth are left clean, organized and tidy at the end of all activities.
· Maintain records of participants, meetings, and policies.
· Provide support and supervision for the Nursery Attendant, as required, during Sunday morning services.
· Coordinate with other parish organizations as needed.
· Other duties as required.
Supervision & Support: The Rector/Pastor, a designated Warden, and a Lay Support Team will provide collaboration, supervision, mentorship and support.
· Appropriate theological education or equivalent experience
· A strong commitment to Christian faith
· Demonstrated ability to develop creative faith-based programs and educational experiences for people aged 10-19
· Ability to model learning and faith development as a lifelong goal
· Proven track record of child/youth leadership experience in a church setting
· Strong organizational, time management skills
· Excellent verbal, written communication and listening skills
· The position requires sensitivity; the ability to understand and practice the importance of confidentiality
· Ability to fulfill the role in the context of St. Laurence as an integral part of the Anglican diocese of New Westminster and Good Shepherd Lutheran as an integral part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada; to celebrate Christian community that is inclusive of gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and diverse family lifestyles.
Requirements of the position:
· Will collaborate and coordinate with fellow co-leader.
· Will comply with the Diocesan Privacy and St. Laurence Parish Confidentiality policies.
· Will comply with the Sexual Misconduct Policy of the Diocese of New Westminster and sign an acknowledgement form.
· Will comply with the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith Policy of the Diocese of New Westminster re: “Nursery Care Givers, Church School Teachers, Youth Workers.”
· Will attend a Diocesan Sexual Misconduct policy training session at the beginning of the ministry and every three years thereafter.
· Will submit a current Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector search obtained within the last 12 months.
· Reports to the Rector/Pastor and a designated Warden.
· Meet periodically with designated Warden or Lay Volunteer to discuss progress and challenges.
· The Rector/Pastor and Wardens (or congregational representative) will conduct a formal performance review prior to the end of the term.
· Reports to Church Committee on the activities/needs of all youth ministry programs as required.
· Reports to Vestry by means of a written report to be included in the Annual Vestry Report.
· Shares status reports with Lay Support Team.
Hours/Conditions of Work
This is a part-time (9 hrs. week) contract position requiring flexible scheduling on a weekly and seasonal basis. This may include the ability to work a split shift, as required, on Sundays, i.e., oversight of Church School and family ministry activities in the AM and senior youth group in the PM.
The coordinating duties of this position can be done from home through use of the telephone and Internet.
The majority of the role is performed in the church building or on its grounds. It is a non-smoking environment.
This position is 9 hours a week at $20 per hour.