The primary focus of the Associate Pastor’s work is to supports the greater vision of the church by directing the Small Groups and Congregational Care Ministries. In addition the Associate Pastor will provide Pastoral Oversight for Children’s Ministries and Youth Ministries as well as general Pastoral ministries including preaching, teaching, counseling and officiating at communion, baptisms, weddings, and memorials. The position is primarily responsible for the visioning, recruitment, training and development and oversight of volunteers. In cooperation with the Senior Pastor, the Associate Pastor will also take the lead role in Membership, the Membership Class content and support the teaching of new members primarily provided by the Senior Pastor. Incumbent will serve on the Ministry Leadership Team.
The Associate Pastor will direct three (3) full time employees and three (3) or more quarter time/volunteers in Sunset’s larger ministry areas. Further, depending on the strengths and interests of the Associate Pastor he/she may focus on one or two of the following ministry areas including Assimilation/Next Steps, Biblical Racial Justice, Christian Education Classes, Evangelism, Marriage, Membership Class content and Teaching, Women’s Bible Studies, Men’s Bible Studies, Singles, Young Adults, Seniors, Prayer, Reconciliation, and Premarital Counseling. In collaboration with the Senior Pastor he/she is responsible for helping these ministries grow/flourish in a healthy ministry environment with a focus on Outcomes.
This position in particular
· Leads the Small Group and Congregational Care Ministries
· Regularly interacts with the Manager of Elementary Children’s Ministries and Youth Director in order to create a comprehensive approach to the spiritual development of children and youth at Sunset.
· Collaborates with the Minister of Administration and the Senior Pastor to ensure the integration of the vision of all the ministries of Sunset while achieving outcomes desired for the church.
· Regularly utilizes local and/or national networking and resources to keep abreast of current trends and best practices for Sunset Ministries and communicates those to staff and volunteer leadership.
· Attends Session Meetings and relates to Session members in their governance capacity.
· Responsible for the recruitment, training and development of all volunteers in Adult Ministries categories above.
· Provides regular encouragement, coaching and feedback to volunteers.
· Understands and promotes Sunset’s vision of volunteerism as a step in a person’s spiritual formation rather than only filling needs.
Adult Ministry Programming
· Oversees the development of an overall environment that engages adults in exciting and interactive programs. This person must serve to reach our broader community for Christ and draw them into a deeper relationship with Him.
· Leads the development of programming in one or two of the areas listed in the Leadership section based on his/her experience, skills, and passions to build an environment that fosters their spiritual formation.
· Teaches spiritual truth in an engaging, meaningful and practical manner.
· Coordinate with Children’s, Youth and Adult Ministries to plan and implement special events aimed at connecting all constituencies of the church at least annually.
· Contribute to the vision of the church by collaborating on other teams as requested by the Senior Pastor.