Vancouver Chinese Lutheran Church (VCLC)
Job Posting: Pastor (Full Time)
Vancouver Chinese Lutheran Church (VCLC) is a small congregation located in Burnaby, a suburb in the Greater Vancouver area. It was established in 1991 by then new immigrants from Hong Kong. Current active participants number around 85. Members are predominantly Cantonese-speaking and majority are over 60 years of age. To fulfil its mission in the Kingdom, the congregation has identified as focuses in the coming years: discipleship and spiritual growth, passing on the faith through cross-cultural ministry to the younger generation, and outreach and service to the community. As an associate member of the Canadian Association of Lutheran Congregations (CALC), VCLC subscribes to the confession of faith of the Lutheran church and of CALC.
· Preach the Word, administer the Sacraments and conduct public worship in harmony with the faith and doctrine of the Lutheran Church
· Baptize, confirm and marry in accordance with the teaching of CALC and with the laws of BC
· Provide pastoral leadership in the congregation’s discernment and implementation of its vision and mission
· Provide pastoral leadership to all ministries and programs of VCLC, including discipleship, Christian education and evangelism
· Be responsible for the pastoral care of those in need
· Encourage and empower members to work for mutual edification and to serve the congregation and the Church with their gifts
· Install members of the Congregational Council
· Seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry at home and abroad.
· Encourage members to be generous in support of the ministry of the congregation and the Church
· Keep accurate membership records including baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, communicants and voting eligibility in accordance with VCLC Bylaws
· Supervise staff as delegated by the Congregational Council
· Degree from an accredited seminary is required. Master of Divinity Degree from a Lutheran Seminary preferred. Candidates not from a Lutheran background will be required to meet the educational and training requirements in accordance with CALC guidelines after receiving the call.
Skills and Experience Required
· Work experience: At least 5 years’ experience of pastoring a church preferably as ordained pastor.
· Language requirements: proficiency in Cantonese and English a must. Mandarin a definite asset.
· Solid understanding of Canadian culture
· Good Interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated skills and experience in preaching, teaching, pastoral care, evangelism/outreach
· Accepts and adheres to the Confession of Faith and the purpose of VCLC and CALC.
· Possesses the personal qualifications described in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
How to Apply
Email resume and covering letter to [email protected]
Note: We thank all candidates for their interests. However, only those selected for
interviews will be contacted.