Opportunity Profile: Senior Pastor, West Point Grey Baptist Church Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Summary: We are looking for a Senior Pastor to provide Biblical teaching and spiritual leadership for all core aspects of ministry at West Point Grey Baptist Church (WPGBC).
Recent history: Our pastor of 10 years retired in 2018. Under interim pastoral leadership, we began a transition period exploring who we are as a church body and God’s particular calling for us. As part of our discernment, we discovered that another local congregation, Lord’s Peace Chapel, was engaged in its own discernment process regarding its future. Over six months of leadership and corporate conversation, we discovered a set of shared convictions and a desire to join together in a multicultural, multiethnic and multigenerational community. In September 2020, we welcomed almost 80 members from Lord’s Peace Chapel, roughly doubling the size of the original WPGBC congregation. Together, we seek to bring people to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through the Word and to equip each saint for service in the Kingdom of God. Under interim pastoral leadership, we continue to be devoted to shared leadership, shared service, shared fellowship and shared mission. (A full history of both WPGBC and LPC is available upon request)
The challenge: We are looking for a senior pastor who loves Jesus and has a heart for pastoral care, evangelism and discipleship who can lead West Point Grey Baptist Church in a new season of growth, leveraging the combined passion, gifts and resources of the integrated congregation.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Helping the community to worship, to grow in community and to be edified through: the leading of worship, preaching, conducting the ordinances of the Lord’s Supper and Baptism, teaching, pastoral care, and training members for ministry
● Carrying out planning and administrative functions which are necessary to, and consistent with, the mission statement of this Church and the policies of the Board of Deacons
● Directing and coordinating the work of the pastoral staff
● Acting as liaison with the B.C. Area of Baptist Churches, and the Canadian Baptists of Western
● The Senior Pastor will be of committed Christian faith with a character that promotes the values of West Point Grey Baptist Church, living out this character both professionally and personally
● The Senior Pastor has a passion for pastoral ministry and a desire to promote the spiritual formation, pastoral care, and discipleship of the church, including healthy conflict resolution
● The Senior Pastor has the ability to lead the congregation, in collaboration with the Deacons and other key leaders, casting vision and developing strategies to stay on course
● The Senior Pastor has a passion to engage in personal and corporate mission, including evangelism and social action in our neighbourhood and around the world.
Qualifications & Skills:
● Master of Divinity or equivalent
● Able to teach from a Baptist theological perspective
● Ordination in the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (CBWC) is preferred. A successful
candidate from outside the CBWC will be encouraged to seek ordination in the CBWC
● Able to teach and lead a congregation in evangelism, discipleship and mission in an urban context, including communities associated with a major Canadian university
● Able to manage, support, and encourage volunteers in fellowship and shared mission
● Able to lead the reaffirmation of congregational governance, mission and values of the
integrated WPGBC and LPC congregations
● Five years experience as a senior pastor or senior associate pastor in a multicultural,
● Support for our Statement of Faith (available upon request) and support of the specific beliefs of
the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada https://cbwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/CBWC-Baptist-beliefs2019.pdf
Terms of Employment:
Starts: September 1, 2021
Ends: Permanent contract
Pay: According to CBWC salary grid, details available upon request
Benefits: Extended health, pension and professional development, and housing support, details available upon request.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, your C.V. and a 3-5 minute video introducing yourself and describing your experiences to [email protected]. The application deadline is January 31, 2021.