Department: Tenant Support
Location: Veterans Manor, 310 Alexander Street, Vancouver, BC
Reports to: Executive Director
With the goal of building a healthy and supportive community and a safe and stable housing environment, the Program/Tenant Support Worker will work creatively with new and existing residents to engage them in Whole Way House’s community building and tenant support programs. This position involves coordinating and facilitating support programs for the residents of the building as well as providing one on one tenant support and engagement. This will include establishing supportive relationships with the residents, engaging residents as volunteers, providing counsel and one on one support and access to community resources, leading devotional times, prayer and providing spiritual care. This may also involve coordinating and training volunteers and providing opportunities for feedback and growth. The Tenant Support Worker will work with colleagues as well as community resources, case managers, nurses, etc to develop support plans and a continuum of care outline, as well as outreach and collaboration with other community organizations and events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
● Providing a variety of supports including: assisting with housing needs, assisting with housing stability, assistance with room cleanliness, laundry, personal hygiene, accessing financial aid, work with families, skills teaching, crisis intervention/prevention, advocacy, referrals to other services, engagement in programs etc.
● Liaison with other mental health and health care providers, physicians, community workers, landlords and family members on behalf of clients
● Provide spiritual care, guidance and mentorship to residents
● Set up and facilitation of programs (daily, weekly, monthly, special)
● Take inventory and coordinate supply orders
● General office and van cleaning
● Hosting and coordinating volunteers and partner organizations for programs (and/or working with a volunteer coordinator)
● Assessment of clients and their service needs
● Developing respectful and trusting relationships with clients
● Developing service plans and goals in partnership with clients
● Developing and implementing strategies in partnership with clients
● Work collaboratively in a team and with partner agencies
● Linking clients to social supports, long-term supports, primary health care, addiction services
● Providing a safe space for guidance and support for the residents, including engaging them in participating in programs and accessing resources available to them
● Keeping up to date and accurate records regarding resident and program data, progress, success, feedback and potential development
● Assisting the Executive Director with organizing and coordinating, workshops and special events
Compensation & hours of work:
● Compensation Type: Hourly
● Salary Range: $20+/hour
● Hours of Work: Full time & Part time options available
● Location – DTES exact location TBD
Requirements, knowledge and experience:
● University degree and/or Community College Diploma in social services or related field preferred
● Experience in community mental health, forensic mental health and crisis intervention
● Experience working with homeless individuals preferred
● Working knowledge of psycho-social rehabilitation and recovery principles
● Experience in direct services delivery to adults in poverty with mental illness and concurrent disorders and addictions
● Able to effectively identify and solve problems and follow through on initiatives.
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Good written, reading and verbal communication skills.
● Good assessment skills
● Knowledge of landlord and tenant act, health care and community resources
● Agreement with Whole Way House’s Mission Statement.
● Able to maintain confidentiality, ethically, regarding sensitive matters regarding the organization and its clientele.
● Related experience working with community support programs and one on one counsel.
● Valid Class 5 driver’s license preferred (not required).
● Proficient use of Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
● Ability to work independently; self-motivated and disciplined. Ability to work with a team, cooperative, contribution-oriented.
● Willing to complete relevant courses and workshops (provided by WWH or our partners) as assigned by the Executive Director.
● Adaptability / Flexibility – Adjust approach to meet needs of changing conditions, situations, and people to work effectively in difficult or ambiguous situations.
● Collaboration and Network Building – Identify and create external and interdepartmental interdisciplinary networks to support service delivery and achieve organizational objectives.
● Self-Care – Deliberately and continuously apply professional and personal self-care to sustain optimal productivity and maintain physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health.
● Self-Management – Manage emotions and strong feelings while maintaining calm and tactful demeanour under a broad range of challenging circumstances.
● Teamwork and Cooperation – Work collaboratively and productively across the organization to achieve common goals, while demonstrating respect, cooperation, collaboration, and consensus building.
● Work Location – Work is generally performed indoors, with up to 30% of the time spent outdoors in all types of weather.
● Physical Requirements – Duties require extended periods of standing and/or walking. Duties require occasional periods of climbing, pulling/pushing items, lifting/carrying items, keyboarding, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Employees are required to look at a computer screen for up to 70% of the time. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally. The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
● Work Conditions – This position may be required, at times, to work in an environment often dealing with clients in crisis brought about by diverse problems. The ability to function independently and frequently under pressure, while managing multiple concurrent tasks including emergency situations is an ongoing expectation of this position.
● Hours of Work – This position typically works 2-5 day per week onsite for 6-8 hours per shift. Some work on scheduled days off may be required. Moderate overtime may be required. Work on weekends and statutory holidays may be required.
● Hazards – Job requires some interaction with the public some of whom may be upset, abusive, and/or violent. Job requires working with people in unhealthy conditions and may include exposure to bodily fluids, lice and bedbugs. Employee may be required to hear about clients’ lives which may be troubling or upsetting, and may cause emotional issues including vicarious trauma.
● Other – Due to the nature of the job, and our commitment to a safe environment, the candidate is subject to a criminal record check and must submit a current Driver’s Abstract